Saturday, April 28, 2007

I'm mean

and it's hard on everyone else. I try to not be mean but everything that makes me laugh bums somebody out. I blame Woody Allen. Most of my sense of humor developed from movies I watched 147 times when I was 13 years old, and 95% of those movies were Love and Death, strangely the other 5% was Bye-Bye Birdie. But in Love and Death you can make cutting remarks about anyone and they are too busy being goosed by your sword to notice. So I often feel like I can say whatever I want and not only will no one be offended they will laugh with me. But they don't, they look at me with hurt eyes and I think again, "God dammit, why am I mean? Why can't I just not? Next time I won't."
And I learn this lesson over and over but letting something funny slip past unsaid is so crushingly painful that I always have to say it.

So here is an apology.

Sorry.

Really, I'm sorry.

I know, I know, why can't I just be nicer?

Sorry

4 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger ashtanga en cevennes said...

I don't think you've got a reputation for being a meany. You don't come off as particularly world-weary or hard-hearted or, you know, staggering through your days under the weight of some poetically complicated weltschmerz. Which is not to say that you haven't always been smart and funny and all that, and fully capable of pointyness, but, meh... There's a certain asshole quality that has to go in equal measure with sarcasm, which you lack entirely, in my opinion. You just aren't an asshole, my dear.

I don't see any reason why making fun of full bikini waxes should qualify you as a jerk. Bikini waxes are funny! What kind of idoit would do that!! Bring it on--I can take it. ;) (So can most people, and still luuuurve you.)

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Dan Gerics said...

i stil luv you mama

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger ashtanga en cevennes said...

See? And Lois takes it all off, too.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Megan said...

First of all, I want to incorporate the phrase "some poetically complicated weltschmertz" into conversation today.

Secondly, I think there's a difference between saying things that are (in retrospect) mean, and actually being a mean person. If you were actually mean, you'd be delighted that you hurt someone's feelings, because that would have been why you said it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home